Excelerate Labs offers innovative business start-up and growth support to residents of Greater Manchester. Funded by European Regional Development Fund, the programme supports those looking to start, innovate, diversify and grow businesses creating new jobs and boosting the Greater Manchester Economy.
As managing agent of the programme, The Women’s Organisation have helped nurture many new and established enterprises across Greater Manchester, reflecting a wide range of sectors.
What does Excelerate Labs do?
Excelerate Labs provides start-up support to any woman living in Greater Manchester who has a business idea they would like to explore. The programme offers a 7-day ‘Kickstarter Manchester’ programme allowing participants to understand the logistics of launching a new enterprise, including; creating a business plan, conducting market research, understanding customers and competitors, building a marketing plan and understanding social media.
For existing Greater Manchester businesses, Excelerate Labs supports existing entrepreneurs and management teams to significantly drive business growth. Working alongside a business adviser, the programme offers advice and guidance on taking your business to the next level, from adapting a business plan and creating new revenue streams, to recruiting staff and taking on premises.
- Develop and promote an ambitious business growth culture through increased business growth media coverage, role models and case studies
- Generate more revenue and profit through access to new markets whilst attracting and retaining more customers
- Gain access to, and benefit from, targeted business networking which drives sales, improves supply chains and develops businesses social capital
- Become more effective business leaders
- Create new revenue streams, reinvigorate/reinvent the company – plan and manage the process of creating new revenue streams
- Create powerful marketing processes that can rapidly accelerate sales including market development
- Raise employees productivity, attract, retain, inspire and leverage a talented team of individuals who will work toward an agreed growth plan
- Carry out effective financial engineering by facilitating access to and utilisation of both traditional and non-traditional sources of capital
- Develop more effective technology based performance management and human capital systems and processes
- Embedding a research, development and technology deployment cycle within new and growing female businesses
Impact on clients
Founder of ‘Hey Little Cupcake’, Sarah Wilson-Gibbons, began by baking cakes from her kitchen as a one-woman operation in 2010. Sarah worked alongside an Excelerate Labs business adviser to create a three-year strategic business plan and gain support to help expand her team.
The business now spans across two locations, employs 21 people and is a key supplier to cafes across Greater Manchester. The business has a ‘cupcakery’ in Spinningfields as well as a contract in Selfridges’ food hall in the Trafford Centre, which has been held for the last four years.
Having worked with Excelerate Labs, Sarah said: “I had mentoring sessions which I have found so helpful and supportive over the past few years. If growth opportunities present themselves take them, you never know when or if they will be available again”
For More Information on Excelerate Labs
Phone: 0161 327 0967
How is Excelerate Labs funded?
Excelerate Labs is receiving funding from the European Regional Development Fund as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020. The Department for Communities and Local Government is the Managing Authority for European Regional Development Fund. Established by the European Union, European Regional Development Fund funds help local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support innovation, businesses, create jobs and local community regenerations. For more information visit https://www.gov.uk/european-growth-funding
Excelerate Labs is currently on it’s second tranche of funding. Find out more about our current support here.