About The Nia Black Business Hub
The Nia Black Business Hub is an innovative action research project led by The Kuumba Imani Millennium Centre in partnership with The Women’s Organisation with Gloria Hyatt, MBE, from Teach Consultancy, commissioned to deliver the action learning programme.
The Nia Black Business Hub will be Liverpool City Region’s first business incubation and support hub that focuses on supporting potential and already existing Black Businesses, enabling them the flourish as thriving enterprises. The programme pilot aims to:
- Develop a deeper understanding of the challenges that Black communities face when starting or growing a business in LCR and produce a model of culturally specific business support, responding to the needs of Black led businesses.
- Lead and set a standard for the engagement and support of Black Businesses through listening and being directed by them.
- Create a space where Black businesses can use their collective voice to shape the services they need and develop an interrelationship with the mainstream business eco system.
- Demonstrate the value of the Black economy when we address the disparity in strategic action and development required to progress Black business in the LCR.
How Does The Nia Black Business Hub Work?
Reaching out to Black leaders in the Liverpool City Region, The Nia Black Business Hub will offer support from concept to nurturing business growth strategy to enable your business to maximise its full potential.
Offering bespoke advice and support responding to the specific needs of Black business leaders The Nia Black Business Hub will:
- Deliver innovative community engagement activity to improve access to enterprise services for Black communities in Liverpool City Region
- Provide access to expert business advice to help you with the steps needed to start and grow a business:
For start-up Black businesses this will include:
- Developing your business plan
- Calculating start-up costs and planning your finances
- Conducting market research to check your idea is sound
- Setting up bookkeeping and accounts
- Understanding Tax and National Insurance
- Applying for funding, grants & loans
- Marketing your business through traditional and digital channels
- Developing your network
For Black led businesses looking to grow we will support you to:
- Realign your business strategies to overcome challenging times
- Adapt your business to respond to change, such as providing online services
- Create new revenue streams, reinvigorate/reinvent the company to plan and manage the process of expanding
- Become a more confident and effective business leader
- Raise employee’s productivity, attract, retain, inspire, and leverage a talented team of individuals who will work aggressively toward an agreed growth plan
- Create powerful marketing processes that can rapidly accelerate sales including market development
- Gain access to, and benefit from, targeted business networking which drives sales, improves supply chains, and develops businesses social capital.
- Carry out effective financial engineering by facilitating access to and utilisation of both traditional and non-traditional sources of capital
- Develop more effective technology-based performance management and human capital systems and processes.
*We use the term Black to represent all non-white people and those who identify as Black, Asian, and racial minorities*
For More Information on The Nia Black Business Hub
The Nia Black Business Hub is supported by Liverpool City Region Combined authority as part of the Race Equality Programme. The project is delivered by Kuumba Imani Millennium Centre, who have an established reputation in delivering community engagement initiatives targeting Black communities, in partnership with The Women’s Organisation, experts in delivering inclusive enterprise support programmes.